Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Reflection on Miracles

Lauren's heart attack has prompted me to reflect on my attitude to miracles.  Being of 'an intellectual/rational bent' I tend to be quite sceptical of miracles.  Even though I believe in God, I have never really expected god to intervene in my life to make it more comfortable.  Generally my prayer does not take the form of requests but rather an attempt to sense my oneness with God.  I think this has been the case long before I ever heard of the term non-dualism (I can't get comfortable with that term).
While Lauren was unconscious and we feared for her life or worse, her mental capacity, my prayer tended to be sending my loving energy to help heal her brain.  However, as you would expect, many in my family and our network of friends were praying specifically for her recovery.  There were Masses said all over the world, novenas offered to Mary, prayers to dead relatives to intervene with God on her behalf, visits to Marian shrines, insertion of Miraculous medals in her bed and many other forms of prayer that I personally (intellectually) feel uncomfortable with.
I have since discovered what I luckily didn't realise at the time, that where someone's heart has stopped and there has been more than 10 minutes before defibrulation, the chances of making any sort of recovery are only one in fifty.  The majority of those who do survive have some form of brain damage.  Lauren's initial heart scan suggested that she had suffered serious damage to her heart.  Her EEG scan of the brain suggested that she had moderate to severe brain damage.  Yet her heart is now totally free from damage and although they haven't bothered with another EEG, it is clear that there is no damage to her brain.  She has full cognition and doesn't seem to have any neurological damage whatsoever.    Once she has regathered her strength, she should make a complete recovery.  
It is hard to go past calling this a miracle.  Some in my family have actually suggested that there might be sufficient evidence to submit it as a miracle in the case for the canonisation of Mary McKillop (an Australian saint).  My intellectual and rational brain is puzzled.  Luckily, I am also able to thank God and take pleasure in the time that I am now able to have with Lauren.

No comments: