Monday, June 28, 2004

What is my allotted work?



The disciple was a Jew. "What good work shall I do to be acceptable to God?"

"How should I know?" said the Master. ""Your Bible says that Abraham practiced hospitality and God was with him. Elias loved to pray and God was with him. David ruled a kingdom and God was with him too."

"Is there some way I can find my own allotted work?"

"Yes. Search for the deepest inclination of your heart and follow it.?"

Anthony de Mello, SJ


To me, this has seemed like the biggest problem of my life. The feeling that I have something important to do that I haven't yet started and not knowing what it is.

The deepest inclination of my heart seems to be Community. Not joining a community and having to follow rules, but community that respects the rights and individuality of each but allows each to lean on the others. Simplicity, intellectual stiulation and openness are characteristics of the type of community that I long for.Books that inspire me in that direction include The Diffferent Drum by M Scott Peck and Small is Beautiful by E F Schumacher

No comments: